Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Kids make me smile

I've always had a dream, that depending on how close someone is to me, may or may not be secret. That dream is to publish AT LEAST one children's picture book. Luckily, due to my job as a children's librarian, and the friends I've made throughout the years, I have many testers for my stories. I recently wrote one that I  have titled Norma the Bookworm that I sent to a friend from graduate school to share with her kindergarten classes. About a week after I sent the story to her, she messaged me on facebook letting me know her student's liked the story, but they thought it needed illustrations, so they drew me some. She then was awesome enough to mail them to me. They arrived yesterday (Friday) which actually was perfect because I desperately needed the smile they gave me since my Grandmother died earlier that morning (which is a blessing, but still sad). SO! I went through them and pulled out my favorite ones to share with you at the same time I share my story with you! I am sorry I can't share them all with you, there is just no way I can without taking up too much space.  Also, I am very excited and nervous that I have sent a manuscript (not of this story though) into a publisher for consideration. I'm starting out small because even sending it to one publisher is a big step for me. 

So I hope you enjoy Norma the Bookworm, written by me and illustrated by my friend's students. 

Norma the Bookworm

Hi! My name is Norma, and I'm a bookworm. I live inside the books at the library. What are you making that face for? Living inside books at the library is awesome! I get to go on as many adventures as I want to.


How you ask? It's easy! I just pick up a book and dive right in.

Look! I'm a pirate, sailing the seven seas. What? You say I have no arms so I can't be a pirate? NONSENSE! With books there are no limits.


I can be an astronaut and fly to the moon! You know that it's a giant ball of paper right? Those craters are actually bites from all the bookworms that have flown there already. I bet you didn't know that.

I can be an archaeologist, traveling around the world digging up artifacts that tell the stories of our past. Look! There's a mummy!

I can be a dancer, twirling and leaping on stage! What's that you say? I have no arms... why are you focusing on my lack of arms? I'll just be an Irish dancer!


Or I can be a knight, rescuing a princess from a vicious dragon! Uh oh....that dragon is looking at me like I'm a snack. You know, I've heard that they think bookworms are delicious. I think I will go before he confirms it. 


But what I like best is that no matter how many adventures I take, I know I can go on more just by diving into a new book. I love being a bookworm. 

Awww, the library is closing. Time to take a nap before my next great adventure! (Meep, meep meep, meep -this is the sound of a bookworm snoring). 


THE END

1 comment: