Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Missouri Trip : The Drive Out to MO

Superman and I drove out to St. Louis, MO this past week in order to attend a friend's wedding and, luckily, be out there for one of his brothers' birthday. We were very excited to be going out since we hadn't seen Superman's family in a while (ok I hadn't, he saw them last year but for a not great reason- a funeral). Anyway, I got off an hour early on Tuesday (cuz I go to work early) so we were able to get on the road around 7pm. Following our usual method we drove through the night to avoid rush hour traffic around the cities. Normally this trip takes between 13-14 hours. HOWEVER, this time a fairly massive, late season snow storm covered the majority of our normal route. To the point that about an hour and half to two hours into the trip I had to shake Superman awake because I could no longer see the road due to the super heavy snow that had appeared on Rt. 64. I say suddenly because one minute it was just rain then BOOM lightspeed style snow. Normally we (ok I) start singing Star Wars songs when hitting snow like this (ok, fine, that is all me). However, this time I started to panic. I think that it didn't help that truckers were flying past me like it was just rain-- so we took the next exit, found a gas station, filled up and switched places. When at the gas station I called my Mom so we could see how far out the storm covered. Unfortunately, the storm went all the way through the majority of the states we were going through. Because of that we  stuck with  our original driving plans and decided to continue on to take Rt. 81 south, through Tennessee, then to I think Rt. 40 to Rt. 24 , so on and so forth (we knew the storm was coming).However, if it had been the same on the radar in Tennessee we would have just dealt with it and gone the easier way.  This way was supposed to take 14 hours but it took 17 hours. This was because it still snowed/iced through the majority of Tennessee too! UGH. Luckily though, that was not nearly as bad as what we hit in VA. We thought that we might have to stop off in Blacksburg, VA to stay the night with my brother if it looked like it was going to be the same in Tennessee.  So the drive out was hellish. We have no desire to repeat that, so from now on we will do our best to plan our trips out to MO during the summer.

However, there were some highlights for the drive.
1) I got to start and got about a disc and a half into my next audio book: Starclimber (Matt Cruse #3) by Kenneth Oppel.
2) Snickers, who went with us, was THE BEST DOG EVER during the drive. She slept until it got bright, then she sat so that she could look in between the front seats and watch out the window. The only issue we had was she kept wanting to climb into the front seats for cuddles. No whining! It was AMAZING
3) During the drive through Tennessee every now and then we would have a short break in the clouds and I pushed my head against the window at a funny angle to stare at the stars. This made Superman laugh.. and maybe tease me a bit.

That was our drive to Missouri. Like I said, only during late Spring/Summer now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment