Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Mailbox sign

For some reason that I can't really explain I have a very strong dislike for our mailbox, and while it is
inexpensive to replace we just haven't gotten to it. However, I decided that I was going to take a step to make our mailbox look nicer-- so I made a new house number sign to hang underneath the mailbox. I did this partially because I wanted to, but also because the numbers aren't super obvious on the post when you're driving by. The next step is to paint the post and replace the mailbox, but that will come later.


So to make the sign I got the correct size wood plank from our local craft store- in this case I believe it was the 10 inch one. I also ordered new paint markers- which I am ridiculously excited about and have to resist the urge to go around the house and draw on every surface. So to make it I found some Basset Hound images online and traced them trying to find one that I liked. Once I did I traced it and colored on the other side of the tracing paper from the design. I flipped it back over and traced the outline of the basset directly onto the wood. This left a decent outline which I then outlined again with a pencil to make it darker. I repeated the process with the numbers. Finally, I used my paint markers to color in the basset. I repeated the process on the other side. After I left the design dry for a couple days I used an acrylic sealer from the store that is good on wood to seal it. It has yet to rain since we put it up though, so now we're just waiting for a good storm to see how it holds up :-) I really like the sign, although the dog doesn't reflect all the furbabies of the house anymore, it will stay just a basset.

So there we have it, one step closer to making our mailbox look nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment