Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

From the Hound's Kitchen: Pina Colada Oatmeal Bars

I absolutely LOVE pineapple and coconut so when we discovered Mrs. Miller's Homemade Pineapple Jam at PA Dutch Tea & Spice I knew I had to adjust one of my favorite recipes into a Pina Colada style bar. The original recipe is from The Pioneer Woman and is called "Strawberry Oatmeal Bars"(click on the name to get to the original recipe). AND THEY ARE DELICIOUS! Seriously, these things are addicting- they don't last more than 2 days in our house.

Anyway, after discovering the intriguing Pineapple Jam I set out to start adjusting the oatmeal bars recipe into a new recipe full of tropical goodness, and here it is :

Ingredients:
- 1-3/4 sticks cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cup Oats (quick or regular)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar Mrs. Miller's Homemade Pineapple Jar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish

 Mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and coconut. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs*. Sprinkle half the mixture into the pan and pat lightly to pack it a little tight.  Spoon preserves evenly over the surface, then use a dinner knife to carefully spread it around **. Sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture over the top and pat lightly again.

Bake until light golden brown on top, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan.

When cool cut into squares and serve.

* Our pastry cutter broke a couple weeks ago and I have yet to replace it. So what I did was I used the biggest holes on my cheese grater and grated the butter. This worked well and if you are in a pinch I say go a head, but on a regular basis I would not recommend this as it was a pain in the butt of a process.

** Because of the consistency of the Pineapple Jam, it didn't really spread well so I used my fingers to press the jam around to spread it. If I tried spreading it, it would pull up the mixture underneath.

One of the things I think I will try next time is melting white chocolate chips and drizzling it over the top to make it more of a dessert bar. The bars are also delicious crumbled over ice cream.

The Pioneers Woman's recipe is also in the back of her new picture book Charlie Goes to School which is an adorable story about Charlie, her basset hound, starting a school for the animals on the ranch. I highly recommend the book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment